Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Encounter and Experience in Roskilde

After my pleasant encounter with Gonzalo, Reason and Elisa at Korallen on 15 February, we decided to go the next day to Roskilde, a small town near the university to buy food for the weekends, since all the canteens remain closed on weekends. We took the train to Roskilde, which is only 5 minutes ride from Trekroner. We knew the arrival timing of the train at Trekroner and we left our house accordingly. The train arrived 2 minutes before and I did not have the time to buy my train ticket. I travelled with Gonzalo´s extra ticket.

Roskilde Railway Station


Roskilde is a very beautiful city and looked more colourful with people out on the streets on saturday morning to do their shopping after a busy week. It was very nice, though you do not really find many different looking people.

Roskilde has an open market on Saturday, where you can find vegetables and fruits in cheap prices. It was also very interesting to encounter and experience the European "open market". The market looked very colourful, and fresh. We then did our shopping at a supermarket and walked in the streets. The streets were filled with winter garments and shoes. The houses on both the sides of the streets looked majestic with classical European architchture. It becomes hard for a firsttimer to distinguish between the office buildings, private houses and shopping complexes. They all look the same.

Winter in Europe is wonderful. It is beautiful to walk on the streets and experience the cool feelings of the city. I love it. Walking on the streets might be confusing for someone like me who come from Singapore or India where people drive on the left side of the road, as a legacy of British Colonialism. However, In Denmark, they drive on the right side of the road, like the Americans, which is very confusing and dangerous in the begining. But I guess, you get used to it.



After shopping, we checked the timing of the train and found out that we have enough time. We took a leisurely walk. But after some time, I realized that I needed to buy an English electric adapter. I went to a supermarket but could not find it there. Since we were coming closer to the train timing, we decided to go to the station. Once again, I did not have the ticket. So I stood in the line to buy my ticket, but the line was moving very slowly and in the process, we missed our train. Since the trains are in each 30 minutes, I decide to go and look for the adapter, and asked my friends to leave if I do not come back before the next train. I was lucky to find it at Importer - an electrical shop. I asked for an adapter and the lady at the shop asked me if I am looking for a "Foreign to Danish" adapter looking at my face (realizing that I am a foreigner). It was very expensive (DKK 70). I bought the adapter, since I had no alternative.

I came back to the station and caught up with my friends. We took to train back to the university, where I cooked some rice and potato for my lunch. It was a simple but nice lunch, which forced me to have a very good afternoon sleep. Bye... I am now off to bed. Write you soon.

No comments: